In her tutor report, my tutor suggested I take a look at playing around with the sequencing of my series of photos or possibly bringing in some quieter images that I had in my contact sheets. She likened viewing images to listening to a ballad. When I was in the process of creating my surreal photos I noticed that I was keeping to the same basic overall colour palette – that of muted shades of brown and I found that this seemed to anchor the surreal effect that I was trying to achieve. I also did not want to break the dream effect that I was trying to create with the double and long exposures by bringing in a straight colourful photograph. This would have created an “awake now” effect, I think. Perhaps, if I expand this body of work at a later stage, I can incorporate more of the other images.
However, I agreed with my tutor’s suggestion that I needed to resequence my set of images and provide captions. After putting some time distance between the completed assignment and coming back to it now I can see the need for that. I printed out the photos on regular paper and played with the sequencing at home, then I created a contact sheet in LightRoom and shared that with my fellow students on our Facebook Group. A few mentioned they preferred the original sequence (thanks guys). Someone suggested putting all the lying down images together and all the upright images together. I didn’t like this as there wasn’t much of a break in tonal values when I did this. Another student made some very specific suggestions about the sequencing which I have implemented to a large extent below. The one image’s position which was not up for negotiation was my final image which I think explains all the aforegoing images – the big reveal in a manner of speaking. I believe there is a better flow and rhythm now.
Here then is my new sequencing of “60 Points of Pain”.